Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions about engaging with music in Cornwall

Enter a Search term to the Frequently Asked Questions and answers. Or leave blank to view all results.


Showing all (5) results

Children eligible for Free School Meals, children in care and children of currently serving armed services are entitled to a subsidy of up to £5.00 per lesson (which may mean that your child’s lesson is then free). Families in receipt of Disability Living Allowance are eligible for a subsidy of up to 50% (up to a maximum of £2.50 per lesson). If you think your child may be eligible, speak to your school secretary.

Lessons must be provided by a provider who is registered with the CMEH. A list of providers currently registered can be found on the Subsidised Lessons home page

Teachers not already registered should complete and return the form which can be downloaded from the website

The Cornwall Music Education Hub has a large stock of instruments which are available to hire.  Information and hire forms can be found on the Instrument Hire page.  

Instruments can also be hired from Trevada Music in Camborne

Concerts by Hub ensembles or events organised by the Hub are listed on the events calendar and on the Concerts page

Information about other concerts and festivals can be found on a range of different websites, including:

Many schools run their own ensembles, but if your child would like to join a regional ensemble supported by the Hub or one of the Hub's County level ensembles, please visit the Ensembles page for further information.

Places in the county level orchestras and ensembles are offered through an audition process. If your child would like to audition for a place, please contact the CMEH office – CMEH@cornwall.gov.uk . County ensembles are charged on annual basis rather than per term.

Regional ensembles usually charge a termly coaching fee but a subsidy is available for all Hub supported regional ensembles and County ensembles for children in care, children on Free School Meals and children of services families.

The Cornwall Music Education Hub does not deliver instrumental lessons but there a list of local providers can be found on the council website -  Cornwall Council website. 

Most lessons take place at school during the school day and are co-ordinated by the school office. If your child is interested in starting music lessons, you should speak to their teacher or the school secretary to find out what instruments are currently taught in school and by whom. Lessons are usually weekly and prices vary depending on provider.  

Private tutors can also be found by searching on the internet. Parents should check that these teachers hold the appropriate DBS checks and insurance.

Share Button