What does the Cornwall Music Education Hub do?
The Cornwall Music Education Hub delivers all Core and Extension roles as set out by Arts Council England. These roles underpin all planning and the musical activity that we offer.
- Ensuring that every child aged 5-18 has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice) through whole-class ensemble teaching programmes of weekly tuition on the same instrument.
- Providing opportunities to play in ensembles and to perform from an early stage.
- Ensuring that clear progression routes are available and affordable to all young people.
- Developing a singing strategy to ensure that every pupil sings regularly, and that choirs and other vocal ensembles are available in their area.
- Providing Continuing Professional Development for school staff, particularly in supporting schools to deliver music in the curriculum.
- Providing an instrument loan service, with discounts or free provision for those on low incomes.
- Providing a wide range of high quality music experiences for pupils working with professional musicians and / or venues, including signposting the opportunities available to schools, parents/carers, and students.
The Cornwall Music Education Hub does not deliver instrumental tuition but helps children and young people to access to high quality musical learning through a variety of ways:
- Support for schools in the form of grants for First Access (introduction to learning an instrument), training and projects
- Training and support for classroom teachers in Primary and Secondary schools to improve the teaching of music
- A network of county level orchestras and choirs
- Grants for regional youth ensembles
- Opportunities to perform in large scale events, including cluster projects and festivals
- Opportunities to work with professional musicians from all over the world in workshops and masterclasses
- Support for schools to develop their own ensembles and choirs
- Targeted projects for vulnerable groups, including children in care and special schools
- Subsidies for children on free school meals, children in care and services children
- Access to a large stock of instruments, including sets for whole classes at a subsidised rate
Visit our YouTube channel to view the short films which we have produced to give an insight into our work:
- - The Cornwall Music Education Hub - a brief introduction
- - School Engagement
- - Ensembles
- - Progression
- - Vocal Strategy
- - Inclusion